Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Truly" Influenced By Bond




When I was young, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang completely made an impact on my young life. Why? This was a hella long movie, over 2 hours, which is very long for a little kid. Also it was mad influenced by classic MGM musicals, meaning they were made into spectaculars! I guess what I'm trying to say that the movie itself actually didn't impact me. It was this guy....


This dude freaked me out!!!! The Child Catcher struck fear into my heart, and I will admit he still scared me up into my preteens. Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers didn't scare me, but a guy with a humongous nose used to smell out children and kidnap them from their homes seemed very real to me.

I feel a completely nostalgic trance come over me when I think of this movie or watch clips of it. (I can't bring myself to watch it all the way through.) I really need to buy it on DVD.

Anyway.....

I found out that the original children's book was written by none other than Ian Flemming, the guy who wrote the James Bond series. He wrote it for his kids, apparently. And then it was produced by James Bond producer, Cubby Broccoli. The screenplay was written by three dudes, but the most impressive of them was Roald Dahl. He was my favorite children's book author! So he took part in the screenwriting.

Now my favorite character is Truly Scrumptious, I don't know maybe it's the name. The name.... I don't know why I never thought of it before, but it's so Bond-ish. Pussy Galore, Plenty O'Toole, Holly Goodhead, etc... Hel-LO, Truly Scrumptious! Major "duh" moment right there. Then Caractacus Potts invents all these extraordinary, but strange, gadgets like Q.

I'm sure there are more Bond references but these are the only ones that sprang to my mind.

No comments: