Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An Inevitable Cult Movie Icon: Uma Thurman


With the impending Dark Knight movie release looming close, I thought I would reacquaint myself with the Batman movies from my youth.

I was watching Batman Forever on TV, and realized that it came out when I was 5 years old. As I watched, I thought how much better Tim Burton's movies were compared to this. I mean the movie's fun, but the first two were much better.

Then I remembered Batman & Robin, the worst of the Batman franchise. I loved it when I was young. And I thought, who was the most memorable character from that movie? Poison Ivy, of course.

Really, when I think back she was the most fun to watch. She was campy which is something little kids will always love in a movie character. She also spoke in a funny way; a Valley Girl meets the Queen of England.

All of this led to more thinking. Uma Thurman has starred in several movies that have huge cult followings (i.e. Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Henry & June).

She first got attention in Dangerous Liaisons, playing the naive virgin Cecile. She was 17 during filming and did a topless scene with John Malkovich. That had tongues wagging... maybe for two reasons. Thurman disappeared for a while and returned two years later with Henry & June, playing June Miller, an object of Anais Nin's affection. Henry & June had the MPAA in a bind on how to rate it, and, ultimately, had the distinction of being the first film to be rated NC-17.

Then Pulp Fiction came along and Thurman was nominated for an Oscar. She was officially golden in Hollywood. Then she co-starred in Batman & Robin which, shockingly, did not ruin her career. And she followed up with The Avengers based on the 1960s TV show. That should have ruined her career, but it didn't. She keeps surviving.

Thurman's films after that showed off her acting skills, proving to everyone that she did, in fact, have them. But the Kill Bill movies put her back on the map.

She survives everything. Gotta give her credit for that. Most people I know don't know of Thurman by seeing some of her movies. Most have them only know her from one. But they know her name and associate with a character. The makings of a true Cult Icon. Also what helps in establishing yourself as a Cult Icon, is if your have an unique look. She has one and the exotic name doesn't hurt either.

Recently, Thurman had a movie released that several critics hated, but the film has developed a following on the internet. And they love it, including myself. The Life Before Her Eyes will most likely become a cult classic in the future.

I don't think you can typecast Uma Thurman. Looking at her filmography, you'll see the different roles she has played, and her continual trials to prove she isn't some specific stereotype. But she'll always be Poison Ivy.

2 comments:

Mishka's Dad said...

You seem to know what you're talking about. When did you have time for your schoolwork?

Mishka's Dad

Mishka said...

funny... haha