Thursday, July 31, 2008

"It's All Make Believe, Isn't It?"

She was born Norma Jeane Mortenson, and she became the most remembered sex symbol of all time, Marilyn Monroe. Really she is remembered because of her tragic and sudden death. But there was more to Marilyn. She was overtly sexual and vulnerable, and smart and dumb. 

Judy Holliday once said, "You have to be smart to play a dumb blonde over and over and keep the audience's attention without extraordinary physical equipment."
Marilyn was not as dumb as people thought. Everyone thought that she plays dumb blondes so well, she must be playing herself. That's not true; it's harder to play yourself. That's why actors choose roles that are the exact opposite of themselves. 

Just look at some of her famous witticisms:
"I've been on a calendar, but never on time."
"The trouble with censors is they worry if a girl has cleavage. They ought to worry if she hasn't any."
"What do I wear to bed? Chanel No. 5, of course."

She wanted to grow as an actress, but her bosses didn't support her. After all, she made them money by playing a sexy ditz. Why would they want her to change? So without their blessings, Marilyn went to Lee Strasberg's The Actor's Studio in New York. 

That was extremely brave of her. Someone not famous for their acting and already had a career in Hollywood drops everything and comes to new York. Think of the whispering and criticism she had to endure. 
She has one of the ultimate Cinderella/Hollywood stories. Technically an orphaned girl, who grew up in orphanages and foster homes. Was a model who crossed over to pictures. She was also molested and raped as a child, and had a family history of psychological problems. Now, she is one of the most interesting major figures in history, and one of the most researched. 

I know because when it was time to do senior research papers, all the teachers gave out a sheet of paper that listed the most popular topics. Marilyn was very close to the top. My generation seems a little fascinated by her. She's the only movie star they seem to know about. I wish they knew about others. I find it quite annoying at times. 
I remember when I first saw Marilyn Monroe in a movie, I was unimpressed. The movie was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and when I saw her Lorelei Lee, I said to myself, "what a dumb blonde!" I also did see her sex appeal. I thought she was too overt. 

But somehow, my opinion changed and I've seen a majority of her movies. But it's not her films that interest me, but her as a person. She is so misunderstood. And I hate the biopics they produce about her. Because they either make her out to be a slut and bimbo, or they make her to be insane. In reality, Marilyn was manic depressive (bi-polar).

There are too many layers to Marilyn. I don't think anyone will (or should) truly understand her. She is an enigma, even if people think she was vapid. 
R.I.P. Marilyn Monroe 1926-1962

Monroe Films You Should See:
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
- Niagra
- River of No Return
- Some Like It Hot
- Bus Stop
- The Seven Year Itch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's apparent you've done your homework on MM. Similar to Doris Day, she was made to play "the role" in order to satisfy the Hollywood studio system.
You're right;she is an icon, a bit of a tragic one, though.
We'll always remember her as beautiful and still in her prime!

dojie said...

Marilyn was a once-in-a-lifetime brilliant light that shined upon us for a short while before burning herself out......leaving the world a little darker when she left us....her spirit will always be with us....still shinning on.